One of the easiest ways to reduce household energy consumption is to replace traditional incandescent light bulbs with energy efficient light bulbs.
Triple E Agent Assignment:Is there a noticeable impact to electricity consumption after making these changes?
Examine the return on investment for energy efficient light bulbs, and run test by monitoring single family home electricity consumption...
ENERGY STAR rated compact fluorescent lights (CFL) are most abundant on the shelves with an increasing number of light emitting diode (LED) technology options. DOE is trying to enforce energy efficiency standards that would, in essence, phase out incandescent bulbs in favor of CFL, LED or other more efficient lighting technology. Not without debate or opposition, this effort is another step that relates to the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007.
In many cases, a lower wattage CFL (11W or 13W) 'bulb' is designed to replace a standard (40W or 60W) incandescent bulb. So, in theory the operating cost is about 1/4 the cost of an incandescent. There is, however, a substantially higher purchase price for CFL versus incandescent. On the other hand a CFL has a much longer life than incandescent by, for example, 7 to 11 years. Trent Hamm does a great job of running the numbers on these three lighting options, in this article. In summary, Hamm's total cost estimates are:
- Twelve 60W incandescent lights used for 10,000 hours would cost ~$918.90
- Twelve 13W CFL used for 10,000 hours would cost ~$219.90
- Twelve 7W LED used for 10,000 hours would cost ~$172.75
- Before: baseline usage was 0.75 to 0.86 kWh per hour or $0.09 to $0.10 per hour.
- After: baseline usage is 0.45 to 0.69 kWh per hour or $0.05 to $0.08 per hour
- initial purchase price
- light/color difference
- difficulty finding appropriately sized CFL or LED for small 'candelabra' type fixtures
- 20 to 30 second delay for full illumination of CFL
- mercury contained within CFLs requires coordination of safe disposal through local municipal solid waste or recycling facilities
Find the Right Combination,